李阳英语核心对话0201-0220

更新时间:2023-11-22 14:40:01 阅读量: 教育文库 文档下载

说明:文章内容仅供预览,部分内容可能不全。下载后的文档,内容与下面显示的完全一致。下载之前请确认下面内容是否您想要的,是否完整无缺。

PART 2:PRIMARY DIALOGUES

初级对话

下面的20段对话主要是围绕初到美国的中国学生的学习生活而展开的。有初到异乡的困惑,有学习中不可避免的障碍,有对美国花花世界的猜测,也有低头思故乡的酸涩。对话中讨论的话题,都是最基本、最实用的。如果将这20段对话连接起来,就构成了一幅中国学生在国外的生活画面。

1. How Long Will It Take to Learn English

学会英语要多长时间

【背景介绍】

初到美国的中国学生,往往要先过语言关,然后才可以选修其他的课程。下面这段对话就是一个正在进修语言的中国学生的困惑。

A: How long will it take to learn English? Will I be able to take other courses next semester or will English take up all of my time?

学会英语要花多长时间?我下学期可不可以选修别的课程?还是要把英语一直学下去?

B: It’s hard to say. Language isn’t like other studies. 很难说。语言不同于其它的学问。

A: You mean I could finish this course and still not know English? You’ve got to be kidding!

你是说我修完了这门课还是不懂英文? 你在开玩笑吧!

B: I’m not kidding. Learning a language is a question of forming language habits and that takes time.

绝无戏言。这是一个养成语言习惯的问题,得花不少时间。

A: So do we have to stay in this English class forever? 那我们一辈子都得留在英语班了吗?

B: No. You just have to stay here long enough to get some orientation. Then you go on practicing and learning outside. A lot of learning depends on your personal motivation.

那倒不必。你要在班上待到获得一些学习的方法为止。然后你就可以在课外练习和进修了。学习很多时候是要靠你的个人动力。

A: So it’s really the same story. Practice, practice, practice and more

practice is the only way to learn a language.

还是那句话,操练,操练,再操练是学习一门语言的唯一办法。

B: You said it. 你说对了!

口语要素

★ It’s hard to say. 很难说。 ★ Certainly. 当然了。

超级短语

be able to 能,会

* Will you be able to come with me tomorrow? 明天你能跟我一起来吗?

* I haven’t been able to get in touch with her. 我尚未能和她取得联系。

go on 继续

* Don’t keep me in suspense. Go on with the story! 别吊我胃口,接着讲!

* I just wanted to look for a book. You can go on with your work. 我只是来找一本书,你继续工作吧。

超级句型

★ You mean 你的意思是说……

* You mean we can finish this course and still not know English? 你是说我们修完了这门课还是不懂英文?

* You mean I don’t need to come to work tomorrow? 你是说我明天不用来上班了?

★ It’s a question of 是……的问题

* It’s a question of forming language habits and that takes time. 这是一个养成语言习惯的问题,得花不少时间。 * It’s a question of attitude, not action. 这是个态度问题,而无关行动。

精彩句子

★You stay here long enough to get some orientation. Then you go on practicing and learning outside.

你在班上待到获得一些学习的方法为止。然后你就可以在课外练习和进修了。

语法点滴

一般将来时:表示即将发生的动作

* How long will it take to learn English? 学会英语要花多长时间?

* Will I be able to take other courses next semester? 我下学期能选修别的课程吗?

* When will you finish the term paper? 你什么时候能完成学期论文?

* What are you going to do during the National Day vacation? 国庆节放假期间你准备做什么?

* We’re going to Hawaii to spend our honeymoon next week. 下个星期我们要到夏威夷去度蜜月。

2. Americans Have So Much Money

美国人好有钱

A: I used to think that Americans had so much money they didn’t know what to do with it.

从前我老以为美国人都好有钱,却不知道该怎么花。

B: You did? 你真这么想?

A: Yes. But now I’ve learned differently. Now I have a more realistic opinion.

是呀。不过我已经知道不是这么回事了。现在我的看法更实际。

B: What do you think now? 那你现在怎么想?

A: There are lots of jobs, and almost everybody works. There is a high standard of living. People earn a lot, but they spend a lot to live. So there isn’t so much money after all.

美国有许多行业,而且几乎人人都工作。生活水准高,个人收入多,但生活开支也大。所以最后也没剩多少钱。

B: But I still say Americans spend a lot more money on useless things than we Chinese do.

但我还是认为美国人比我们中国人爱乱花钱。

A: That’s true. But Americans work hard for their money like we do. I don’t know why our spending habits are so different.

那倒是。但是美国人和我们一样努力地工作。我不知道为什么两国的消费习惯这么不同。

额外成就感

used to 过去常常

* I used to go to English salon on Sundays. 我以前常在周日去参加英语沙龙。 * I used to live in Beijing. 我以前住在北京。

after all 毕竟;结果;虽然

* I’m so sorry. I can’t come after all. 对不起,结果我还是不能来。

* It’s not surprising you’ve got stomachache. After all, you’ve eaten too much.

你的胃痛并不奇怪,毕竟你吃得实在太多了。

* I know he hasn’t finished the work, but after all, he’s done his best. 我知道他未完成这项工作,但毕竟他尽力了。

3. Could You Explain a Little More

你能再解释一下吗

A: What do you think is harder, reading or writing? 你认为读和写哪个比较难?

B: Well, they’re completely different. Reading is passive, and writing is active.

它们是截然不同的两码事,读是被动的,写是主动的。

A: I don’t think I understand what you mean. Could you explain a little more?

我不知道你说的是什么意思,能不能再给我稍微解释一下?

B: In reading you need to recognize language by seeing the words on the page and knowing what they are. In writing you have to produce

language, you have to create your own words on a blank page.

阅读是认识纸上现有的语言文字,而写作是在白纸上用自己的话创造语言。

A: Oh, now I see what you mean. When you’re reading, you are just looking, but when you are writing, you are actually doing something! 哦,我明白你的意思了。读只是浏览,而写却是创造。

B: A reading knowledge of a language is larger and different from a writing knowledge. Don’t you think so?

一种语言的阅读知识要比写作知识来得广泛而且大不相同。你难道不同意吗?

A: I think I see what you mean. I can read Shakespeare but I definitely can’t write it.

我想我懂你的意思了。我可以阅读莎士比亚的作品,但却写不出来。

B: Exactly. 对极了。

A: So I have another question for you. What do you think is harder, speaking or understanding?

我还有一个问题。你认为听和说哪个比较难?

B: They’re both harder than reading or writing. 两个都比读和写难。

A: In what way? 在哪一方面?

B: Because they are direct communication with another person, and there’s a time limit. This time limit is the most serious problem for foreigners, even for those who know lots of English.

因为他们直接与他人沟通,而且还有时间上的限制。时间上的限制对外国人来说是最严重的问题,甚至对那些懂得很多英文的人也是如此。

A: You are making me feel really discouraged. 你弄得我好泄气。

B: I’m not trying to discourage you. I’m trying to help you. You have to live with these difficulties. Isn’t it better to know about them? The more you know about what you have to face, the better you’ll do. I promise! 我不是在打击你,而是想帮你。你总得面对这些困难,了解了这些困难不是更好吗? 你对要面对的问题了解越多,就会做得越好,我向你保证。

B: I have a scholarship from my government for four years. How about you?

我们政府给我四年奖学金,你呢?

A: I have a tuition scholarship from the university. Otherwise I’m on my own.

学校只让我免缴学费,其余还是自掏腰包。

B: Do you mean that you’re self-supporting? I didn’t even know you had a job!

这么说你是自己维持了?我都不知道你还有份工作!

A: Oh no. My family supports me. And believe me, changing foreign money into dollars is heart breaking. You seem to get so little in return. 喔,不是。我靠我家里。说真的,用外币换美元真是件伤感情的事,一换就没多少钱了。

B: Yeah, I really know the feeling. I can’t wait to graduate so I can get a good job and earn my own money.

是呀,这种感觉我太清楚了。我恨不得马上毕业找个好工作,那我就可以花自己的钱了。

额外成就感

on one’s own 靠自己,独自 * He got the job on his own. 他靠自己的力量得到了那份工作。

* She would always sit in a corner on her own. 她总是独自一人坐在一个角落里。

in return 作为回报

* He didn’t expect anything in return for his help. 他帮助人并不期待任何回报。

* If you give me your photo, I’ll give you mine in return. 你若送我一张照片,我便回赠一张给你。

13.How Do You Improve Your English

你怎样提高英语

A: Do you mind if I ask you a question? 我问你个问题你介意吗?

B: No, not at all. Go ahead. 不介意。问吧。

A: What do you do in order to improve your English? 你怎样提高你的英语?

B: I go to movies; I go to lectures; I listen to the radio; I do lots of things. Most importantly, I practice every chance I get.

我看电影,听演讲,听广播,方法很多。最重要的是,我抓住每一个可以练英语的机会。

A: It’s a good idea to have a radio, isn’t it? 有收音机倒是学英语的好办法,对不对?

B: Sure. It’s like understanding on the telephone——you can’t see the speaker! It’s great for improving listening comprehension.

对。就好像是接电话一样,你看不到对方!这对提高听力很有帮助。

A: It takes a long time to learn a language, doesn’t it? 学语言要很长的时间,对不对?

B: It certainly does. But if you practice speaking every spare minute and learn useful sentences every day you can make big progress.

当然是了。但如果你每天都利用零碎时间苦练说,而且说实用的句子,那你会进步很快。

额外成就感

in order to 为了;以便

* I decide to go to England in order to improve my English. 为了提高我的英语,我决定去英国。

14.What Words Do I Need to Know

我该了解些什么

A: I was wondering if you could help me with something. 我想知道你可不可以帮我个忙。

B: Sure, anything you say. 说吧。

A: Actually, it’s a little bit silly. 实际上,这个问题有点可笑。

B: Don’t worry about it, just ask. 别担心,说吧。

A: What words do I need to know to buy a pair of shoes? 我买双鞋子该说些什么?

B: You need to know the type of shoe you want. 你只要知道你要的式样就行了。

A: Don’t worry about that. I can point it out in the store. 这个不用担心,我在店里可以指给他们看。

B: The shoes can be comfortable or not comfortable, too wide, too narrow, or just right; and long or short. In girls shoes, the heel can be high or low.

鞋子可能会舒服或不舒服;可能会太大、太小,或正好合脚;也可能会长或短。女鞋的跟也许会高或矮。

A: Let me write all that down. I’m going shopping this afternoon. 我把这些话写下来好了,我今天下午就去买。

额外成就感

point out 指出

* I pointed out to him where I used to live. 我指给他看我以前住过的地方。

* May I point out that if we don’t leave now we’ll miss the movie. 我想提醒大家,如果现在还不动身,我们就赶不上看电影了。 * He pointed out that the project lacked one important thing. 他指出,那项计划有个严重的缺陷。

write down 写下;记下

* Write the address down before you forget it. 把这地址写下来,免得忘了。

* I write down her telephone number in my notebook. 我在笔记簿上记下了她的电话号码。

15.Are Americans Romantic

美国人浪漫吗

A: You know, I really don’t think Americans are very romantic.

我认为美国人并不很浪漫。

B: Where did you get that idea? 你怎么会有这种想法?

A: That’s the impression I get from the movies, and from looking around. Men and women seem very businesslike in their relations with each other.

我是从看电影和对周围事物的观察而得到这个结论的。男女间的关系似乎很实际。

B: Well, I’m still not sure what you’re asking me. 我还是不太明白你说的是什么。

A: Is it true or isn’t it? 你说是对还是不对呢?

B: Do you want to know something about the American character? 你想不想了解一下美国人的性格?

A: I just think you’re trying to change the subject. But go ahead. 我看你是想改变话题吧。好了,说吧。

B: No, this will help answer your question. In American society boys and girls are raised together. They’re not segregated in their activities! Boys and girls go out together from an early age.

不,这有助于回答你的问题。在美国社会里,男孩和女孩是在一起长大的。他们在活动中,并不加以隔离。美国的男孩和女孩从小就可以一块出去玩。

A: OK, go on. 是,继续说。

B: After being raised together, men and women can be businesslike in each other’s company. It really doesn’t have anything to do with the way a man and woman behave toward each other when they are in love. Does that answer your question?

等到他们一起长大成人后,男女之间在工作中的关系就会处理得条理分明,但这和他们在恋爱中的表现是没有一点关系的。这个答案你满意了吧?

A: Not exactly, but I see your point. 还好。不过我明白你的意思。

B: I think Americans are pretty romantic when they are in a relationship and a lot of flirting goes on in every office. After you’ve been in America for a while, you will probably see what I mean.

我觉得美国人恋爱起来挺浪漫的,甚至在办公室也有很多调情的场面。等你在美国呆久了,就会明白我的意思了。

额外成就感

go ahead 向前

* Go straight ahead. 一直向前走。

* Go ahead, we’re all ears. 讲吧,我们都听着呢。

A: I was thinking about taking an English course this summer. 我今年夏天想上个英语班。

B: Go ahead, I think that’s a great idea. 去吧,是个好主意。

16. We’re Starting A Soccer Team

我们要组织一个足球队

A: Hi Jim. Do you have a minute? 嗨,吉姆。你有空吗?

B: Sure, what’s up? 有,什么事?

A: Some of us are going to start a soccer team. Would you like to join us?

我们几个要组织一个足球队,你要不要参加?

B: I don’t know anything about it. Soccer isn’t as popular in my country as it is here.

我对足球一窍不通。我们国家跟这不一样,不兴踢足球。

A: That’s all right. We’ll teach you. 没关系,我们会教你的。

B: Is it anything like American football? 足球跟橄榄球一样吗?

A: Not very much. It’s something like hockey, except that you use a big ball and no stick.

不大一样。足球有点像曲棍球,不过足球是用大球,而且没有球棍。

B: I’ll come down and watch you play some day, and see what it’s like. 回头我去看你们踢球,看看究竟是什么样子。

A: Good idea. I think you’ll like it if you give it a chance. 好。我相信你一试就会喜欢上它的。

额外成就感

watch 注视;观察;看护

* Did you watch the tennis match? 你看了网球比赛没有?

* Watch the cars when you cross the street. 过马路时,要注意车辆。

* He watched to see what would happen. 他注意观察会发生什么事。

* She watched the patient all night. 她整夜看护那位病人。

17.How Do I Get to the Bank

去银行怎么走

A: Pardon me, Ma’am. Can you tell me how to get to the Business Bank? 对不起,太太,您能不能告诉我到商业银行怎么走?

B: Sure. Turn right at the next corner, and keep on going for two blocks.

当然可以。下个拐角右转,再走两个街区就到了。

A: Which side of the street is it on? 银行在街的哪一边?

B: The left-hand side. It’s on a corner. Are you a stranger in town? 在左手边的拐角上。你对本地不熟吗?

A: I’m a stranger in this country. I just arrived from China. 我对这个国家很陌生,我刚从中国来。

B: My God! You are far from home! 天哪!你真是远道而来。

额外成就感

keep on 继续;坚持

* In spite of the noise outdoors, she kept on reading. 她无视外面的嘈杂声,继续读书。 * He kept on asking silly questions. 他反复问些愚蠢的问题。

far from 远非;完全不

* I am far from pleased with your behavior. 对你的行为我很不满意。

* She realized this was far from the truth. 她意识到这决非事实。

18.How Often Do the Buses Run

公共汽车多久一班

A: Excuse me, could you answer a few questions for me? 对不起,打扰一下,你能回答我几个问题吗?

B: Sure. 可以。

A: How often do the buses run? 公共汽车多久一班?

B: They come by every fifteen or twenty minutes. 每十五或二十分钟一班。

A: How late do they run? 开到多晚?

B: Till around midnight, I think. 我想半夜才收班。

A: How much is the fare? 一张票多少钱?

B: A dollar. 一美元。

A: OK, thanks, you’ve really been a big help. I’m sorry to bother you. 好的,谢谢。你帮了我大忙。很抱歉打扰你。

额外成就感

till 直到;在……以前

* I’ll be here till 10 o’clock tomorrow. 我一直到明天10点都会在这里。

* My son often sits up surfing the internet till late at night. 我儿子常常上网到很晚才睡觉。

19. I’m Just Feeling Homesick

我只是有点想家

A: Hi, John. What’s up? 嗨,约翰,最近好吗?

B: Hi. Not much. I’m just miserable as usual. 嗨,不怎么样。跟以前一样难过。

A: What’s the matter with you? Don’t you feel well? 你怎么了?不舒服吗?

B: I feel terrible. I can’t get used to the food; I can’t get along with the people here. I don’t like these customs——I wish I were back home. 我感觉糟透了。我吃不惯这里的食物,跟这的人也相处不好。我不喜欢这里的风俗习惯――真想马上回家。

A: Do you eat everything back home? Have you got lots of friends in your country?

你在国内是不是想吃什么就吃什么?是不是有很多朋友?

B: What are you trying to say? 你在说什么呀?

A: That maybe you have some of these same feelings back home. They just seem stronger now because you’re in a strange place. Have you thought about it?

也许你在国内也会有同样的感受,只不过你现在在一个陌生的地方,这种感觉

就更强烈。你想过这个问题吗?

B: No, I guess I feel this way at home sometimes too. 是啊,我在家有时也有这种感受。

A: Maybe you’re just in a bad mood. Don’t worry. It will pass. 也许你只是心情不好。别担心,一切都会过去的。

B: I hope so. 但愿如此。

A: Why don’t you do something you enjoy to take your mind off your troubles?

你为什么不做点你喜欢的事来缓解一下烦恼呢?

B: Thanks for the advice. I’m just feeling homesick I guess. 谢谢你的建议。我只是有点想家了。

额外成就感

get along with 与……相处;进展

* How are you getting along with your new girlfriend? 你和新女友相处得如何?

* How are you getting along with your work? 你的工作进展如何?

* They just can’t get along with each other. 他们就是合不来。

20. America Is So Different from China

美国跟中国差别太大了

A: Hi, Jim, how are you doing? 嗨,吉姆,你好吗?

B: Not too bad. It’s hard getting used to so many things. America is so different from China.

还行。一下子适应这么多新东西是件不容易的事。美国跟中国差别太大了。

A: How do American students compare with students in your country? 美国学生和你们国家的学生相比怎样?

B: Our students are more serious. Much more serious. 我们国家的学生比较认真。远远比美国学生认真。

A: What outside interest do they have? 他们有些什么课外兴趣呢?

B: Some students are interested in music, sports or relationships, but there really isn’t much time to pursue outside interests.

有的喜欢音乐、体育或交友,但他们追求课外兴趣的时间却很少。

A: Wow! That is different from America. 哇!那跟美国不一样。

B: It’ s just one difference. 这只是一点差别。

A: Well, I’m sure having extra free time shouldn’t be too tough to get used to.

我想你肯定不太难适应拥有这么多的业余时间。

B: No, it will be great. I am already thinking about all the great things I can do.

是啊,这样才好。我已经想了很多可以做的事了。

A: Just don’t get carried away and forget all about your studies. 只是别太离谱,忘了功课。

额外成就感

be serious about 认真对待

* Is he serious about wanting to be a doctor? 他真的想当一名医生吗?

* Are you really serious about him? 你对他真的有意思吗?

本文来源:https://www.bwwdw.com/article/rwpv.html

Top