剑桥雅思5听力原文加翻译
更新时间:2023-11-02 21:44:01 阅读量: 综合文库 文档下载
TEST 1
测试1 SECTION 1 第一节
RECEPTIONIST: Good afternoon, Dreamtime Travel. How can I help you? 接待员:下午好,梦想时间旅行。我如何帮助你?
CUSTOMER: Oh hello. I'm interested in the holidays you offer along the coast 顾客:哦,你好。我感兴趣你假期提供沿着海岸 near here.
在附近。
RECEPTIONIST: Yes. We operate several tours up the coast. Where in particular did 接待员:是的。我们几个沿着海岸旅游。在特定的了 you want to go?
你想去吗?
CUSTOMER: Well, I like the sound of the holiday that mentioned whales. Was it 顾客:嗯,我喜欢这个节日的声音,提到了鲸鱼。这是 'Whale Watching'?
“赏鲸”?
RECEPTIONIST: Oh, that's our Whale Watch Experience. lt's very popular and it's 接待员:哦,这是我们的鲸鱼观看体验。lt,它是很受欢迎的 based in a lovely little town with nice beaches. 在一个可爱的小镇的海滩好。
CUSTOMER: Oh right, and how long does it last? 顾客:哦,持续多长时间?
RECEPTIONIST: It's two days - that includes four hours' travel time each way from 接待员:这是两天,包括旅行时间从4个小时 here.
在这里。
CUSTOMER: Good, I don't want to be away any longer than that. So is that by 顾客:好的,我不想走了。因此,通过 coach? 教练吗?
RECEPTIONIST: Actually it's by minibus. We like to keep those tours small and 接待员:实际上是面包车。我们喜欢把那些旅游小和
personal so we don't take a whole coachload of people. in fact, we
个人,所以我们不要把一整个一客车的旅客的人。事实上,我们 only take up to fifteen people on this tour, although we do run it 只需要15人在这旅游,尽管我们运行它 with just twelve or thirteen. 只有十二个也不十三个。
CUSTOMER: Oh, right. So do you run these tours often? 顾客:哦,对了。所以你经常运行这些旅游吗?
RECEPTIONIST: Well it depends on the time of year. Of course in peak times like the 接待员:这取决于。当然在高峰时期
summer holidays we do them every weekend, but at the moment it's 暑假我们每个周末都做,但目前它的 usually once a month at most. 通常一个月一次。
CUSTOMER: And when is the next one going?
客户:下一个会是什么时候?
RECEPTIONIST: Mmm, let me see. Um, there's one in three weeks' time which 接待员:嗯,让我看看。嗯,有一个三周的时间
is April the 18th, and then we don't have another one until June the 4月18日,然后我们没有另一个,直到6月吗 2nd. 2日。
CUSTOMER: All right, and is April a good time to go?
顾客:好吧,4月是一个很好的时间去?
RECEPTIONIST: Pretty good. Though the really good time is later in the year. I have 接待员:很好。虽然很好的时间是在今年晚些时候。我有
to say though that the whale sighting is only one of the many things
说尽管鲸鱼看到只有一个的很多东西 offered. CUSTOMER: Really? 提供。顾客:真的吗?
RECEPTIONIST: Yes. The hotel itself where you stay has great facilities. It's called 接待员:是的。酒店本身,你保持有很大的设施。它被称为 The Pallisades. Pallisades。
CUSTOMER: The Paris what?
顾客:巴黎的什么?
RECEPTIONIST: No, it's actually The Pallisades, P-A-L-L-I-S-A-D-E-S. It's right on the 接待员:不,它实际上Pallisades,P-A-L-L-I-S-A-D-E-S。它是正确的 main beach there. 主要的海滩。
CUSTOMER: Oh, I see. 顾客:哦,我明白了。
RECEPTIONIST: All of the rooms have nice views and the food is really good there 接待员:所有的房间都有很好的观点和那里的食物是非常好的 too.
了。
CUSTOMER: Oh right. 顾客:哦,对了。
CUSTOMER: And what about the other things? You know, that are included in the 顾客:和其他的事情呢?你知道,这是包含在 price. 价格。
RECEPTIONIST: Oh, there are lots of things. If you don't want to do the whale watch 接待员:哦,有很多的事情。如果你不想做鲸鱼观看
cruise, your guide will take anyone who is interested either on a 巡航,你的向导将在一个有兴趣的人
bushwalk through the national park near the hotel, and there's no bushwalk通过国家公园附近的酒店,也没有
extra charge for that, or on a fishing trip. That's an extra $12 I think. 额外费用,或钓鱼。这是一个额外的12美元,我认为。
And there's also a reptile park in town - that costs more or less the 还有一个爬行动物公园在城里,成本或多或少 same.
相同。
CUSTOMER: No, I think I'd prefer whales to snakes. 顾客:不,我认为我更喜欢鲸鱼蛇。
RECEPTIONIST: Yeah. And if you just want to relax you are free to sit by the hotel 接待员:是的。如果你只是想放松你坐的酒店都是免费的
pool or go down the beach. Oh, and they also have tennis courts at 泳池或海滩。哦,他们也有网球场
the hotel, but you have to pay for those by the hour. But there
酒店,但是你必须按小时支付这些。但
are table tennis tables downstairs and they're part of the 乒乓球表到楼下,他们的一部分
accommodation package. Just speak to your guide. 住宿计划。只是说你的向导。
CUSTOMER: Well that sounds good. So how much is the basic tour price? 顾客:听起来不错。所以基本的旅游价格是多少?
RECEPTIONIST: At this time of year it's usually around $300 but let me check. Er...oh, 接待员:每年的这个时候,通常是300美元左右,但让我查一下。呃??哦, it's actually $280.
它实际上是280美元。
CUSTOMER: And the next tour, are there any places on that one? 顾客:下旅游,有什么地方的吗?
RECEPTIONIST: HOW many people Is It for? 接待员:有多少人是为了?
CUSTOMER: These are two of us. 顾客:这是我们两个。
RECEPTIONIST: Yes, that should be fine. Can I just mention that we require all
接待员:是的,那应该没事的。我可以只提到我们需要吗
bookings to be made at least fourteen days before you travel to 预订旅游前至少14天
avoid cancellations of tours. And if you cancel within seven days of departure you will have to pay 50% of your total booking.
避免取消旅行。如果你在7天内取消离开你将不得不支付50%的总预订。 CUSTOMER: OK. 顾客:好的。
RECEPTIONIST: And you also need to pay a 20% deposit at the time of booking.
接待员:你还需要支付20%的定金在预订的时间。 CUSTOMER: Can I pay that by credit card? 顾客:我可以用信用卡支付吗? RECEPTIONIST: Yes, you can.
接待员:是的,你可以。
CUSTOMER: All right, what I'll do is I'll talk to my partner and get back to you. 顾客:好吧,我要做的就是我要跟我的伴侣和送还给你。
RECEPTIONIST: Fine. So I'll make a provisional booking, shall I? - two for the Whale 接待员:好的。所以我要做一个临时预订,我呢?——两个鲸鱼 Watch Experience. Let me issue you with a customer reference 观看体验。我的问题你与客户参考
number for when you call back. Do you have a pen? 数,当你回电话。你有一支钢笔吗? CUSTOMER: Yes.
顾客:是的。
RECEPTIONIST: OK, it's three nine seven, four five, T. That's T for tango. When you 接待员:好的,这是三百九十七,四个五,T T的探戈。当你 call back, ask to speak to the Tour Manager, that's me, Tracy. 回电话,问问旅游经理说话,那就是我,特蕾西。 CUSTOMER: Fine, I will. 顾客:好的,我会的。 SECTION 2
第二节
Hello and welcome to today's “Buyer Beware” programme, where we give you 大家好,欢迎来到今天的“金律”项目,我们给你的地方
some tips on how to spend your money wisely. Now, in today's show we're 一些建议关于如何明智地花你的钱。现在,在今天的我们
looking at beds for children and babies. Let's start by looking at baby cots, that's 看着床上的孩子和婴儿。让我们首先看婴儿床,这是
for children of up to three years old. We tested three different cots all in the 三岁的孩子。我们测试了三种不同的床的
budget price range and, as usual, we will feature the good points, the problems 预算价格区间,像往常一样,我们将特性的优点,问题 and our verdict. 和我们的判决。
The first cot we looked at was by Baby Safe and it had several good points to 我们第一套看着是婴儿安全,它有几个优点
recommend it. Our testers liked the fact that it had four wheels, so it was easy to 推荐。我们的测试人员喜欢它有四个轮子,所以它很容易
move around. The only slight problems with this cot were that it had no brakes, 移动。这床是唯一轻微问题没有刹车,
but they didn't think that mattered too much. At first they were a bit concerned 但他们不认为重要太多了。起初他们有点担心
about the side bar, because they felt babies could trap their fingers in it, but our
侧边栏,因为他们觉得孩子可能陷阱手指,但我们的
testers felt that this was unlikely to happen so they have given this one a verdict 测试人员认为这是不太可能发生,所以他们给了这一裁决 of “satisfactory”.
“令人满意”。
The next cot was by Choice Cots and this time our testers were pleased to find a 下一个床是通过选择Cots,这次我们测试人员很高兴找到一个
cot which is simple to put together - unlike others we looked at. On the minus 床放在一起起来也很简单——不像其他人我们看。在-
side, our testers did not like the fact that the side of the cot did not drop down,
方面,我们的测试人员不喜欢的事实,一边床没有掉下来,
making it difficult to pick up newborn babies. However, the real problem with this cot was the space between the bars; our testers found they were too wide and a
很难接新生婴儿。这床然而,真正的问题在于酒吧之间的空间,我们的测试人员发现他们太宽 baby could easily trap his head. We felt this was a real safety hazard and so we 婴儿很容易陷阱。我们觉得这是一个真正的安全隐患,所以我们 have labelled this one dangerous, I'm afraid.
标签这一危险,我害怕。
And finally better news for the Mother's Choice cot. This cot was slightly 最后对母亲的选择床更好的消息。这床略
different in that, although the side bar did not drop down, the base could be 不同,尽管侧边栏没有掉下来,基本可以
raised or lowered into two different positions making it safe as well as 上调或下调到两个不同的位置使它安全以及
convenient. The negatives for this one were quite minor; the only niggle 方便。这个一个非常小的底片,唯一的挑剔
everyone had was the fact that it has no wheels and the only other problem 每个人都是它没有轮子和唯一的另一个问题
anyone could find, was that there were pictures which were simply stuck on and 任何人都可以找到,只是坚持和有图片
so could easily become detached. The makers have now promised to discontinue 所以很容易成为分离。制造商已经答应停止
this practice. As this cot will then be safe in every way, we have made the 这种做法。这床将是安全的在每一个方式,我们已经做了
Mother's Choice cot our best buy. Congratulations Mother's Choice!
母亲的选择我们百思买床。祝贺你妈妈的选择!
So, what features should you look for in a baby's cot? Well obviously safety is a 所以,你应该寻找什么功能在婴儿床吗?安全是一个很明显
very important factor as well as comfort and convenience. We recommend that, 非常重要的因素以及舒适和方便。我们建议,
if you are buying a cot, do make sure that any metal present is not rusted or bent 如果你买一个床,确保任何金属没有生锈或弯曲
in any way. You should ensure your cot has only rounded or smooth edging 以任何方式。你应该确保你的床只有圆形的或光滑的边缘
without any sharp edges, this is especially important for wooden cots. 没有任何锋利的边缘,这是对木制cots尤其重要。 And now on to beds for toddlers ... 现在在为幼儿床?? SECTION 3
第三节
ANDREW: Excuse me, I was told to come here for advice about, erm, Management 安德鲁:对不起,我被告知来这里寻求建议,嗯,管理 Diploma courses?
文凭课程吗?
MONICA: You've certainly come to the right place. Hi, my name is Monica. 莫妮卡:你来对地方了。嗨,我的名字是莫妮卡。
ANDREW: Nice to meet you. My name is Andrew, Andrew Harris.
安德鲁:很高兴见到你。我的名字叫安德鲁,安德鲁·哈里斯。
MONICA: So, Andrew, have you seen our diploma course prospectus yet? 莫妮卡:所以,安德鲁,你看过我们的文凭课程说明书了吗?
ANDREW: Yes, I've already looked at it. In fact, I thought the information on course 安德鲁:是的,我已经看了它。事实上,我认为关于课程的信息
content was really useful, but I'm afraid I'm a bit confused by all the 内容非常有用,但恐怕我有点搞糊涂了
different ways you can do the course: full-time intensive, part-time and so 不同的方式你可以做课程:全日制密集,所以兼职 on. 上。
MONICA: Well, let's see if I can help. I think each course type has its advantages and 莫妮卡:好了,看看我能帮你。我认为每个类型都有其优点和课程 disadvantages, so it really depends on you - your own study habits, and
缺点,所以它真的取决于你——你自己的学习习惯,和
your financial circumstances, of course. Are you working at the moment? 当然,你的财务情况。你现在工作吗?
ANDREW: Yes. I've been working in the administration section of the local hospital ANDREW: What about the 'modular' course? What would I have to do for that?
安德鲁:是的。我已经在当地医院的管理部门工作安德鲁“:模块化”的课程呢?我需要做什么? for the last three years. And before that I worked in the office of a 在过去的三年。之前,我在办公室的工作
computer engineering company for two years. So, I've got about five 计算机工程公司两年了。所以,我有大约5
years of relevant work experience. And what I'm hoping to focus on is 年以上相关工作经验。我希望关注的是 Personnel Management. 人事管理。
MONICA: I see. And are you planning to leave your current job to study, or are you 莫妮卡:我明白了。和你打算离开你当前的工作学习,还是你 thinking about just taking a year off?
想休息一年?
ANDREW: I want to know what my options are, really. I don't want to quit my job or 安德鲁:我想知道我的选择是什么,真的。我不想放弃我的工作 anything and my employers are keen for me to get some more 什么和我的雇主希望得到更多
qualifications but obviously, it would be better if I could do a course 资格,但显然,这将是更好的,如果我可以做一个课程 without taking too much time away from work.
没有花太多时间远离工作。
MONICA: Right, so you don't really want to do the full-time course, then?
莫妮卡:对,所以你不想做全职课程,然后呢?
ANDREW: No, not really. It's also a question of finances. You see, my office have 安德鲁:不,不会。这也是一个财政问题。你看,我的办公室
agreed to pay the cost of the Course itself, but I would have to take 同意支付的成本本身,但我必须采取
unpaid leave if I want to study full-time and, well, I don't think I could 无薪假期,如果我想学习全职,嗯,我不认为我可以
afford to support myself with no salary for a whole year. 承担支持自己一整年没有工资。
MONICA: OK. Well, you have two other possibilities: you could either do the 莫妮卡:好。嗯,你有两个其他的可能性:你可以做的
part-time course- that would be over two years and you wouldn't have to 兼职课程——这将在两年内,你不需要
take any time off work - or you could do what we call a 'modular' course. 采取任何时间工作,或者你可以做我们所说的“模块化”课程。
You could do that in eighteen months if you wanted - or longer, it's quite 你可以在十八个月如果你想要,或者更长,很 flexible and it would be up to you. 灵活,它将取决于你。
ANDREW: Mmm. So what does the part-time course involve?
安德鲁:嗯。兼职课程包括什么?
MONICA: For that you would join an evening class and have a lecture twice a week. 莫妮卡:你会加入一个夜校和每周两次讲座。
Then, you'd have to attend a seminar or discussion workshop one 然后,你必须参加一个研讨会或讨论车间一个 weekend a month. 周末一个月。
ANDREW: What kind of coursework would I have to do? 安德鲁:我要做什么样的课程?
MONICA: Well, it's a mixture. You'd be expected to write an essay each month, 莫妮卡:好了,这是一个混合物。你会将每个月写一篇文章,
which counts towards your final assessment. You have a case study to do 对你最后的评估,计数。你有一个案例研究
by the end of the course, which might involve doing a survey or
课程结束,可能包括或做一个调查
something like that, and also you need to hand in a short report every 这样,也你需要交一个简短的报告 four weeks.
四个星期。
ANDREW: So, that's quite a lot of work, then, on top of working every day. It sounds 安德鲁:那么,这是相当多的工作,然后,每天最重要的工作。这听起来 like a lot of studying - and really tiring.
像很多学习,很累人的。
MONICA: Yes, you certainly wouldn't have much free time! MONICA: That's where you get the opportunity to study full-time for short periods.
莫尼卡:是的,你当然不会有太多的时间!莫妮卡:这就是你有机会学习全职在短时间内。 That way you can cover a lot of coursework and attend lectures and
那样你就可以覆盖大量的课程和参加讲座和
seminars during the day. And each module lasts for one term, say, about 白天的研讨会。说,每个模块持续一个学期
twelve weeks at a time. There are obvious advantages in this - the main one 12周。有明显的优势——最主要的一个
being that you can study in a much more intensive way, which suits some 是,你可以在更密集的研究方式,适合一些 people much better. 人好多了。
ANDREW: And how many of these 'modules' would I have to do to get the diploma? 安德鲁:我这些“模块”如何获得文凭有什么关系呢?
MONICA: The current programme is two modules - and then you have to choose a 莫妮卡:当前的计划是两个模块,然后你必须选择一个
topic to work in more depth - but you can base that on your job, and so you
主题更深入地工作,但你可以在你的工作基础,所以你
don't need to be away from the office, and how long it takes is up to you. 不需要离开办公室,需要多长时间是取决于你。
ANDREW: The important thing is that you don't have to study and work. You can focus 安德鲁:重要的是,你不需要学习和工作。你可以专注 on one thing at a time. 在一件事上。
MONICA: Yes, I can see that. It certainly sounds attractive! It would be more 莫尼卡:是的,我可以看到。当然听起来诱人!它会更
expensive, though. I mean, I'd have to support myself without pay for each 不过,贵。我的意思是,我必须支持自己没有支付 module. 模块。
ANDREW: That's true, so that might be a problem for you. Look, why don't you talk 安德鲁:这是真的,这可能是一个问题。看,你为什么不说话 this over with your employers and ... 这个和你的雇主和?
SECTION 4
第四节
OK, so we've been looking at the attitudes of various social and cultural groups towards 好的,我们一直在研究各种社会和文化团体的态度
the management of their personal finances - how important they feel it is to save money, 个人财务的管理,为了省钱,他们觉得它是多么重要,
and what they save their money for. One aspect that we haven't yet considered is gender. 他们存钱。一个方面,我们还没有考虑性别。
So if we consider gender issues we're basically asking whether men and women have 如果我们考虑性别问题我们基本上要求男性和女性是否有
different attitudes towards saving money, and whether they save money for different 不同的态度存钱,他们是否省钱为不同 things:
件事:
Back in 1928 the British writer George Bernard Shaw wrote in his Intelligent Women's 早在1928年,英国作家乔治·萧伯纳在他聪明的女子
Guide to Socialism and Capitalism that A man is supposed to understand polities,
指导社会主义和资本主义,一个人应该理解政治,
economics and finance and is therefore unwilling to accept essential instruction. ' lie also 经济学和金融学,因此不愿意接受必要的指令。的谎言也
said, 'A woman, having fewer pretensions, is far more willing to learn'. Now, though these 说,一个女人,有更少的自命不凡,更愿意学习”。现在,虽然这些
days people might question a lot of the assumptions contained in those statements, 天人们会质疑这些语句中包含大量的假设,
recent research does suggest that there are some quite fundamental differences 最近的研究显示,有一些根本性的差异
between men and women in their attitudes to economic matters.
男人和女人之间对经济问题的态度。
Let's look at what men and women actually save for. Research studies of women in North 让我们看看什么男人和女人实际上保存。研究妇女在北
America have found that women are far more likely to save for their children's 美国发现,女性更有可能为孩子的保存
education and they are also more likely to save up in order to buy a house one day. The same studies have found that men, on the other hand, tend to save for a car, which by the
教育,他们也更可能攒钱为了买房子一天。同样的研究发现,男性,另一方面,往往除了一辆车,它的
way takes a surprisingly large amount of the household budget in North America. But the 惊人的方式将在北美的家庭预算。但是,
other main priority for men when saving money is their retirement. When they're earning, 其他主要优先考虑男性当存钱是他们的退休。当他们获得,
they're far more likely to put money aside for their old age than women are. 他们更有可能把钱为他们的年龄比女性。
Now this is rather disturbing, because in fact the need for women to save for their old age 这是相当令人不安,因为事实上女性需要保存为他们老有所依
is far greater than for men. Let's consider this for a moment. To start with, it is a fact that 远远大于男性。让我们考虑一下这个。首先,这是一个事实
throughout the world, women are likely to live many years longer than men, so they need 整个世界,女性可能比男性多活许多年,所以他们需要
money to support them during this time. Since women are likely to be the ones left 钱来支持他们在这段时间。因为女性很可能会离开的
without a partner in old age, they may therefore have to pay for nursing care, because 没有老的合作伙伴,他们可能因此被迫支付护理,因为
they don't have a spouse to look after them. Furthermore the high divorce rates in North 他们没有配偶照顾他们。此外,在北高离婚率
America are creating a poverty cycle for women. It is the divorced women who will most 美国正在创造一个贫困循环。这是离婚妇女谁会最多
often have to look after the children and thus they need more money to look. after not 经常要照顾小孩,因此他们需要更多的钱。后不 just themselves but others. 只是自己但他人。
So what can be done about this situation? The population in North America is likely to 那么,这种情况下能做些什么呢?人口在北美可能
contain an increasing number of elderly women. The research indicates that at present 包含越来越多的老年妇女。目前的研究表明
for women it takes a crisis to make them think about their future financial situation. But of 女性需要危机让他们考虑他们的未来的财政状况。但是,
course this is the very worst time for anyone to make important decisions. Women today 当然这是最糟糕的时间任何人做出重要的决定。今天的女性
need to look ahead, think ahead - not wait until they're under pressure. Even women in 需要向前看,未雨绸缪,而不是等到他们的压力。即使女性在
their early twenties need to think about pensions, for example, and with increasing 二十几岁需要考虑养老金,例如,和增加
numbers of women in professional positions there are signs that this is beginning to 在专业职位的女性人数有迹象表明,这是开始
happen. Then research also suggests that women avoid dealing effectively with their 发生。研究还表明,女性避免有效地应对他们
economic situation because of a lack of confidence. The best way for them to overcome 经济形势由于缺乏信心。最好的方法来克服
this is by getting themselves properly informed so they are less dependent on other 这是通过让自己适当地通知他们不依赖于其他
people's advice. A number of initiatives have been set up to help them do this. This 人的建议。建立了一系列措施来帮助他们这样做。这
College, for example, is one of the educational institutions which offers night classes 例如,大学是一个教育机构提供的夜校
in Money Management, and increasing numbers of women are enrolling on such courses. 在资金管理,越来越多的女性在参加这样的课程。
Here, they can be given advice on different ways of saving. Many women are unwilling to 在这里,他们可以得到不同的保存方式的建议。很多女性不愿意
invest in stocks and shares, for instance, but these can be extremely profitable. It is 例如,投资于股票,但这些是非常有利可图的。它是
usually advised that at least 70% of a person's savings should be in low-risk 通常建议至少70%的一个人的储蓄应该在低风险
investments but for the rest, financial advisors often advise taking some well-informed 投资,剩余的,财务顾问通常建议采取一些消息灵通的
risks. Initiatives such as this can give women the economic skills and knowledge they 风险。这样的举措可以让女性的经济技能和知识
need for a comfortable, independent retirement. The increasing proportion of elderly 需要一个舒适的、独立的退休。老年人的比例增加
women in the population is likely to have other economic consequences... 女性人群中可能会有其他的经济后果??
TEST 2
测试2
SECTION 1LIBRARIAN: Good morning, North College Library. How can I help you? 第一节图书管理员:早上好,北大学图书馆。我如何帮助你? MAN: I was wondering if it was possible to join the library.
男人:我想知道如果有可能加入图书馆。
LIBRARIAN: Are you a student at North College? 北大学图书管理员:你是学生吗?
MAN: No, I'm not, but someone told me it was possible to join, even if I
男人:不,我不是,但有人告诉我可以加入,即使我 wasn't. 不是。
LIBRARIAN: That's right, it is. Are you over 18? That's our minimum joining age. 图书管理员:是的,它是。你18岁以上吗?这是我们的最低加入年龄。 MAN: Yes, I am. 男:是的,我是。
LIBRARIAN: That's no problem then.
图书管理员:没问题。
MAN: Could you tell me what I have to do to join? 男:你能告诉我加入我必须做什么?
LIBRARIAN: Well, you'll need to come in to the library and fill out some forms. 图书馆员:嗯,你需要来图书馆,填写一些表格。
You'll also need to bring two passport photos with you. We also need 你还需要带上两个护照照片。我们还需要
two documents for ID, so a driving licence would be fine. 两个文档ID,因此驾驶执照会没事的。
MAN: I've got that and what else? A credit card? 男:我已经有了,还有什么?一个信用卡吗?
LIBRARIAN: No, it needs to have your address on it. 图书管理员:不,它需要你的地址。
MAN: Shall I bring a bank statement,, would that do? 男:我把银行的声明中,,,会做什么? LIBRARIAN: That'll be fine. 图书管理员:那太好了。
MAN: Good. Does it cost anything to join?
男:好。它成本加入吗?
LIBRARIAN: Well, it's free for students here but otherwise it's £125 per year or £25 图书管理员:嗯,它是免费的学生但是否则每年£125或£25 if you've got a current student card from another college. 如果你有一个来自另一个大学的学生证。
MAN: I was at Westerly College until last year but now I've got a job at 男:我是西风学院直到去年但现在我找到了一份工作
Jefferson's steel factory. Er, it's more expensive than I thought. My 杰弗逊的钢铁工厂。呃,它比我想象的更贵。我的
local library is free.
当地的图书馆是免费的。
LIBRARIAN: But you'll find they don't have the range of reference books or 图书馆员:但是你会发现他们没有参考书或的范围
facilities which we buy for our students. That's why you have to pay to 设施我们买给我们的学生。这就是为什么你必须支付 be an external member. 是一个外部成员。
MAN: I see. How many books can I borrow?
男:我明白了。我可以借多少本书?
LIBRARIAN: We allow twelve items borrowed at any one time if you're a student, 图书管理员:我们允许十二项借在任何时候,如果你是一个学生,
and that includes CDs, DVDs and videos. However, it's only eight items 其中包括cd、dvd和视频。然而,只有八项 for members of the public. 对公众的成员。
MAN: Fine. And how long can I have them for?
男:好。多久我能有他们吗?
LIBRARIAN: Well, you can have both fiction and reference books for four weeks 图书馆员:嗯,你可以同时拥有小说和参考书为四个星期
which isn't bad really. MAN: And what happens if I return them late? 这并不是真的坏。男人:如果我回来晚吗?
LIBRARIAN: Like all libraries there's a fine system in place. The minimum fine 图书管理员:像所有库有微妙的系统。最低罚款
is £1.50 but it can be much higher for some items - up to £5 per week. £1.50但它可以更高一些物品——高达£每周5。
WWe'll give you a booklet with all the details when you join. You can WWe会给你所有的细节当你加入的小册子。你可以
always renew items if they're not required by anyone else by 总是更新项目如果他们不需要通过别人 telephoning or logging on to our website. 打电话或登录我们的网站。
MAN: What about the computers? Can I use them free of charge? 男:电脑呢?我可以免费使用吗? LIBRARIAN:
图书管理员:
For college students it's free, but for external members like yourself, 对大学生来说,这是免费的,但对于外部成员喜欢自己,
the first hour is free and then we make a nominal charge of £ 1 per 第一个小时是免费,然后我们做一个名义£1 / hour thereafter. 小时之后。
MAN: Do I have to book in advance for them? 男:我需要提前预订吗?
LIBRARIAN:
图书管理员:
Oh, yes, it's advisable. Most people tend to book twenty-four hours in 哦,是的,这是明智的。大多数人倾向于书24小时
advance although sometimes you can get one with only six hours' 之前虽然有时你可以得到一个只有六个小时的 notice. 通知。
However, the earliest you can book a computer is forty-eight hours 然而,最早你可以订一个电脑是48小时
before you need it, and you can only book one hour at a time. 之前你需要它,你可以只书一小时一次。
If no-one else has booked the computer out, then you may be able to 如果其他没有人订了电脑了,然后你可以
have another hour if you want. We have a wide range of databases, so 如果你想有另一个小时。我们有一个广泛的数据库 the computers are in great demand.
电脑的需求量很大。
MAN: I'm thinking of doing some writing and I might need to access national 男人:我想做一些写作和我可能需要访问的国家
newspapers. Do you have them on these databases? 报纸。你有在这些数据库吗? LIBRARIAN: 图书管理员:
We do indeed. We've got all the big nationals, The Guardian and The 我们确实这样做。我们有所有大国民,《卫报》和《
Observer, The Independent and The Times and Sunday Times. 观察者,《独立报》和《泰晤士报》和《星期日泰晤士报》。
We've also got all the local papers and a wide selection of magazines. 我们也得到了当地所有的论文和多种选择的杂志。
MAN: Excellent. I assume you have photocopying facilities? 男:好。我假设您有复印设施吗? LIBRARIAN: 图书管理员:
Of course. 5p a sheet for both A4 and A3 black-and-white copies and 当然可以。5 p一张A4和A3黑白副本和 40p a sheet for colour. 40便士一个颜色表。
You can get a card from the counter here - it doesn't take coins. 你可以得到一个卡片从柜台这里——不需要金币。
MAN: OK. Oh by the way, another thing I was wondering about was if you 男:好吧。哦,顺便说一下,我在想另一个问题是如果你 ran any writing classes through the library? 任何写作类穿过图书馆吗?
LIBRARIAN: We do, but you'll have to speak to John Grantingham about that. He's 图书管理员:我们所做的,但是你必须跟约翰说话Grantingham。他是 our resident author. He runs the creative writing classes. 我们的居民。他跑的创意写作课。
MAN: John ... Grant .... Could you spell that for me please?
男:约翰?格兰特....你能拼给我吗?
LIBRARIAN: Certainly.G-R-A-N-T-I-N-G-H-A-M. MAN: Are the classes here at the library? 图书管理员:Certainly.G-R-A-N-T-I-N-G-H-A-M。男:是类在图书馆吗? LIBRARIAN:
图书管理员:
Yes - he's here on Thursday evenings, oh no sorry, Friday - he's just 是的——他在周四晚上,哦,不,对不起,周五——他只是 changed it. You can contact him by emailing the library.
改变它。你可以通过电子邮件联系他图书馆。
MAN: Okay. Right, well that's about all I need to know. Thank you. I'll be along 男:好吧。对,这是我需要知道的一切。谢谢你!我将在 later this week to join. Thanks. Bye.
本周晚些时候加入。谢谢。再见。 SECTION 2 第二节
My name's Dan Pearman and I'd like to talk about the work of Pedal Power, a small charity 我的名字叫佩尔曼丹,我想谈谈踏板动力的工作,一个小慈善机构
based mainly in the UK. I'll be giving our contact details at the end, if anyone would like to 基础主要是在英国。最后我将给我们的联系方式,如果有人想 find out more about how to support us.
了解更多关于如何支持我们。
But first, how the charity began. I got the idea of exporting bicycles to developing 但首先,慈善机构如何开始的。我有出口自行车发展的想法
countries while I was in Ecuador. I went there in 1993 just after graduating from university. 当我在厄瓜多尔的国家。我在1993年刚从大学毕业后。
After three years of studying, I wanted adventure. I loved travelling, so I decided to join a 经过三年的学习,我想要冒险。我喜欢旅行,所以我决定加入
voluntary organisation and was sent to Ecuador to carry out land surveys. The project 自愿组织和被派往厄瓜多尔开展土地调查。这个项目
came to an end after five years and when I returned to the UK in 1998, I started planning 结束了五年之后,当我回到英国在1998年,我开始规划 Pedal Power. 踏板的力量。
Where I lived in Ecuador was a very rural area. My neighbour had the only bicycle in the 我住在厄瓜多尔是一个非常农村。我的邻居有唯一的自行车
village, whereas everyone else walked everywhere. My neighbour's business was 村,而其他人到处走。我的邻居的业务
unusually successful, and for years I couldn't understand why. Then I realised having a 异常成功,多年来,我不明白为什么。然后我意识到拥有一个
货架上太久。虽然有一个部门经理为每个库的一部分,
they are very busy and so, if you do get stuck looking for things, you should ask the 他们非常忙,所以,如果你被困住了寻找的东西,你应该问
relevant Cataloguing Assistant. As your Training supervisor, I just oversee your induction 相关分类的助理。作为你的培训主管,我只是监督你的感应 and will not be around after this initial week. 后,不会在这最初的一周。
Some of you may be interested to know that the library is offering specialised training 你们中有些人可能有兴趣知道,图书馆提供专业培训
sessions on writing a dissertation. Obviously this is not relevant to those of you who are 会议在写论文。显然这是不相关的人
undergraduates; it is just for postgraduates. Your department will discuss the planning 大学生;它只是研究生。你的部门将讨论计划
stage of the dissertation - i.e. what you're going to do - with you and we will focus on the 阶段的论文——即你要做什么,和你,我们会关注的
structure of it. However, the training will also include some time on the computers. 它的结构。然而,该培训还将包括一些时间在电脑上。
I realise most of you know how to organise files but we can show you the different ways 我知道大多数人都知道如何组织文件,但我们可以给你不同的方式
to run data programmes. Your tutors will tell you at the outset how to set out the 运行数据项目。你的老师会告诉你在一开始如何设置的
chapters they require but you will need to ask them how they would like you to organise 章需要但你需要问他们是否希望你组织
the bibliography because it varies depending on your subject area. When you've got 参考书目,因为它在你的主题领域而异。当你有
something together the trainer here will look through the draft version for you to see if 一些这里的教练会通过草案一起给你看看
it's OK. And, one final point, for those of you who have registered from abroad, we can 没关系。最后一点,对于那些从国外注册,我们可以
offer individual sessions on dissertations if you feel you need them. If you require 提供个人会议论文如果你觉得你需要他们。如果您需要
language lessons then they are available from the International Centre next to the Law 语言课程之后,他们可以从旁边的国际中心 Department. 部门。
首先,一些事实和数据。南极洲是一个极端的地方——最高,最冷
windiest continent and over fifty-eight times the size of the UK. The ice-cap contains 风力大陆和58倍以上的英国。冰帽包含
almost 70% of the world's fresh water and 90% of its ice, but with very low snowfall, most 几乎世界上70%的淡水和90%的冰,但非常低的降雪,大多数
of the continent technically falls unbelievably into the category of desert! Huge icebergs 大陆的技术难以置信地落入一个类别的沙漠!巨大的冰山
break off the continent each year, while in winter half the surrounding ocean freezes over, which means its size almost doubles.
每年断绝欧洲大陆,而在冬天一半周围海洋结冰,这意味着它的大小几乎翻倍。 Research and exploration has been going on in Antarctica for more than two hundred 研究和探索在南极洲已经超过二百人
years, and has involved scientists from many different countries, who work together on 年,来自许多不同国家的科学家,他们在一起工作
research stations. Here science and technical support have been integrated in a very 研究站。这里已经集成在一个科学和技术支持
cost-effective way - our Antarctic research programme has several summers-only
具有成本效益的方式——我们的南极研究项目有几个summers-only
stations and two all-year-round ones; I was based on one of the all-year-round ones. 站和两个提高的;我是基于一个提高的。
The research stations are really self-contained communities of about twenty people. 研究站是真正独立的社区约20人。
There's living and working space, a kitchen with a huge food store, a small hospital and a 生活和工作的空间,有一个厨房和一个巨大的食品商店,和一个小医院
well-equipped gym to ensure everyone keeps fit in their spare time. The station generates 设备齐全的健身房,以确保每个人都保持健康在他们的业余时间。车站生成 its own electricity and communicates with the outside world using a satellite link. 自己的电力和使用卫星链路与外界沟通。
Our station - Zero One - had some special features. It wasn't built on land but on an 我们站- 0 1有一些特殊功能。它不是建立在土地,但在一个
ice-shelf, hundreds of metres thick. Supplies were brought to us on large sledges from 冰架,数百米厚。供应给我们大雪橇
a ship fifteen kilometres away at the ice edge. 一艘船15公里外的冰边缘。
Living in the Antarctic hasn't always been so comfortable. Snow build-ups caused 生活在南极没有总是那么舒服。雪增大引起的
enormous problems for four previous stations on the same site, which were buried and 巨大的问题四以前站在同一个网站,它被埋
finally crushed by the weight. Fortunately no-one was hurt, but these buildings became a 最后被重量。幸运的是没有人受伤,但是这些建筑成为了
huge challenge to architects who finally came up with a remarkable solution - the 架构师的巨大挑战,终于想出了一个非凡的解决方案
buildings are placed onplatforms which can be raised above the changing snow level on 建筑上面放置onplatforms可提高雪水平的变化
legs which are extendable.
可扩展的腿。
Food is one of the most important aspects of survival in a polar climate. People living 食物是生存的最重要的一个方面在极地气候。人生活
there need to obtain a lot more energy from their food, both to keep warm and to 有需要获得更多的能量从他们的食物,保暖和
undertake heavy physical work. Maybe you know that an adult in the UK will probably 承担繁重的体力劳动。也许你知道,一个成年人在英国可能会
need about 1,700 kilocalories a day on average; someone in Antarctica will need about 平均每天需要大约1700千卡;有人在南极洲的需要
3.500 - just over double! This energy is provided by foods which are high in carbohydrate 3.500 -超过两倍!这种能量是由富含碳水化合物的食物 and fat.
和脂肪。
Rations for fieldwork present an additional problem. They need. to provide maximum 口粮田野调查带来更多的问题。他们所需要的。提供最大
energy, but they must also be compact and light for easy transport. Special boxes are 能量,但他们也必须是紧凑和轻,便于运输。特殊的盒子
prepared, each containing enough food for one person for twenty days. You may be 准备,每个包含足够的食物为20天一个人。你可能会
familiar with coffee processed by freeze-drying, which preserves the quality of the food 熟悉咖啡由冷冻干燥处理,保留了食物的质量
product while making a large saving in weight - well, this type of presentation is ideal in 产品重量大的储蓄时,这种类型的演讲是理想的
our situation. It wasn't available to earlier polar explorers, whose diet was commonly 我们的情况。这不是可以早些时候极地探险,一般的饮食 insufficient for their health.
为自己的健康不足。
I think that being at the cutting edge of science has a special appeal for everyone working in Antarctica, in whatever capacity. As a marine biologist, my own research was
我认为,在科学的前沿对每个人来说都有特殊的吸引力在南极洲工作,无论能力。作为一个海洋生物学家,我自己的研究
fascinating; but it's perhaps climate change research that is the most crucial field of study. 迷人,但它可能是气候变化研究最重要的研究领域。
Within this general field, surveying changes in the volume and stability of the ice-cap is 在这个通用领域,测量体积的变化和稳定的冰帽
vital, since these may have profound effects on world sea levels and on ocean currents. A 至关重要的,因为这些可能对世界产生深远的影响海平面和洋流。一个
second important area is monitoring the size of the hole in the ozone layer above 第二个重要的领域是监控的大小洞上面的臭氧层
Antarctica, since this is an indicator of global ultra-violet radiation levels. Thirdly, bubbles 南极,因为这是一个全球紫外线辐射水平的指标。第三,泡沫
in the ice-sheet itself provide an index of pollution because frozen inside them are 冰层本身提供一个索引的污染因为冷冻里面
samples of previous atmospheres over the past 500,000 years, and these provide us with 之前的大气样本在过去的500000年里,这些为我们提供
evidence for the effects of such human activities as agriculture and industry. 证据等人类活动的影响,农业和工业。
There are an increasing number of opportunities for young people to work for a period in 有越来越多的年轻人工作一段时间的机会
Antarctica - not only as research assistants in projects like mine, but also in a wide range 南极洲——不仅是研究助理在矿山等项目,但也在广泛
of junior administrative and technical positions including vacancies for map-makers. I 初级行政和技术职位包括空缺混居。我
hope that the insights I've provided will encourage you to take up these opportunities in 希望我提供的见解将鼓励你接受这些机会 this fascinating continent. 这个迷人的大陆。
TEST 3
测试3 SECTION 1 第一节
MAN: Good morning, please take a seat. How can I help you? 男人:早上好,请坐。我如何帮助你?
WOMAN: Well, I'm thinking of buying a new car and I'd like some advice. 女士:嗯,我在考虑买一辆新车,我想要一些建议。
MAN: Sure, yes. Had you got any particular make in mind?
男:当然,是的。你有什么特别的想法?
WOMAN: I'm interested in a Lida - I've had one before and liked it. But I haven't 女人:我感兴趣的丽达,我以前有一个,很喜欢。但我还没 really made up my mind.
真的下定决心。
MAN: Sure. We've got various models. Umm, right. What about the engine 男:当然。我们有各种型号。嗯,对的。引擎是什么 size? Any ideas?
尺寸吗?什么好主意吗?
WOMAN: The one I've got at the moment's a 1.2 litre engine but I find it a bit slow 女:我已经有了此刻的1.2升发动机,但我发现它有点慢
on long journeys. I'd like a bit more power this time ... a 1.4 should do, 在长途旅行。我想要更多的权力这一次??1.4应该做的, don't think I need a 1.6 or anything. 不认为我需要一个1.6或任何东西。
MAN: Right. Well I think the model you're looking at is the Max. Here's a 人:是的。我认为这个模型你看着是马克斯。这是一个 picture.
图片。
WOMAN: Oh, yes ... have you got one in? 女士:哦,是的?你有在吗?
MAN: Yes. I'll take you to have a look at it in a minute. I'll just get a few more 男:是的。我会带你去看一看。我会得到更多 details. 细节。
Er ... Is there anything else to do with the engine? What kind of gear
呃?还有什么与引擎?什么样的设备
change do you want? I presume you'd want a manual? 你想要改变?我认为你想要一个手册?
WOMAN: I'd want automatic - I've never driven a car with manual gears. 女:我想要自动——我从来没有开车手动齿轮。
MAN: Right. Well now, here's the colour chart for the Max. Have you given 人:是的。现在,这是麦克斯的彩色图表。你给
that any thought? This blue's very popular at the moment. WOMAN: Yes, it is nice, I like blue. What's it called? 'Royal'?
任何想法吗?这个蓝色目前很受欢迎的。女:是的,这很好,我喜欢蓝色。这叫什么?“皇家”? MAN: Yes. 男:是的。
WOMAN: But actually, I think I prefer this lighter shade here - 'sky'. 女:实际上,我想我更喜欢这里的轻影——“天空”。 MAN: Yes, that's popular too. 男人:是的,这也是受欢迎的。 WOMAN: I think I'll go for that.
女:我想我会去的。
MAN: You might have to wait a week or so for that colour, but I assume that'd 男:你可能需要等一个星期左右的颜色,但我假设 be OK?
是好吗?
WOMAN: Oh yes, fine.
女士:哦,是的,很好。
MAN: Well, we can go outside and you can have a good look at one, and 男:嗯,我们可以出去好好看看,和
perhaps take it out. But first, can I just ask you about finance? The cash 也许拿出来。但首先,我想问你关于金融吗?现金
price is going to be somewhere in the region of seven and a half
价格是在该地区的七个半
thousand. How would you like to pay? Are you in a position to pay cash, 千。你想如何付款?你可以支付现金, or would you need credit?
或者你需要用吗?
WOMAN: I'd like credit provided the terms are reasonable. 女士:我想提供的信贷条款是合理的。
MAN: Well you can discuss that with my colleague in a moment; we have 男:你可以与我的同事讨论,不一会儿,
various arrangements. And would you be interested in us taking your 各种安排。我们把你和你会感兴趣 present car as part exchange?
现在的汽车作为交换? WOMAN: Yes. 女人:是的。
MAN: OK, fine. So I'll just need some details from you and then we can do a 男:好了,好了。所以我只是需要从你一些细节,然后我们可以做一个 valuation ... Is that OK? 估值??这样可以吗? WOMAN: Fine, yes. 女:很好,是的。
MAN: Could I have your full name? 男人:可以告诉我你的全名吗?
WOMAN: Wendy Harries, that's H-A-double R-I-E-S.
女:温迪·哈瑞斯,H-A-double R-I-E-S。
MAN: And is that Mrs ... Miss ... Ms ... ? 男人:这是夫人??小姐??女士?吗? WOMAN: It's Doctor, actually. 女:这是医生。
MAN: Oh, right. And your address? 男:哦,对了。和你的地址吗? WOMAN: 20 Green Banks.
女:20绿色银行。
MAN: Is that 'Green' spelled as in the colour? 男:是“绿色”说明的颜色? WOMAN: Yes, that's right. 女:是的,没错。 MAN: OK. 男:好吧。
WOMAN: Alton.
女:奥尔顿。
MAN: Is that O-L-T-O-N? 男:那是O-L-T-O-N吗?
WOMAN: Not quite, it begins with an A, not an O. 女:不,它始于一个一个,不是一个O。 MAN: Oh yes, that's in Hampshire isn't it? 男:哦,是的,那是在汉普郡不是吗? WOMAN: That's right.
女:没错。
MAN: And do you know your postcode? 男:你知道你的邮编吗?
WOMAN: Yes. It's GU8 9EW. 女人:是的。这是GU8 9电子战。
MAN: Do you have a daytime phone number?
男:你有白天的电话号码吗?
WOMAN: Well, I work at the hospital but it's a bit difficult to get hold of me. I can 女:嗯,我工作在医院但有点难得到我。我可以
give you a number just for messages, and then I'll get back to you when I can. 给你一个只是为了消息数量,然后我会回到你当我可以。 is that OK? 这样可以吗?
MAN: That's fine. 男:没关系。
WOMAN: It's 0-7-9-8-2-5-7-6-4-3. 女:0-7-9-8-2-5-7-6-4-3。
MAN: Fine. And about the car you have now, what make is it? 男:好。现在和汽车,它是什么牌子的? WOMAN: It's a Conti.
女:孔蒂。
MAN: Do you know the year or the model name? 男:你知道今年或模型的名字吗?
WOMAN: I think it's 1996, and it's called a Lion - like the animal. 女人:我认为这是1996年,它被称为狮子——就像动物。
MAN: Then it must be 1994, because they brought out the Fox after that. 男:那必须是1994,因为他们带来了狐狸。 WOMAN: Oh right, yes. 女士:哦,是的。
MAN: Mileage? Roughly?
男:里程吗?约吗?
WOMAN: I'm not sure. I know it's less than seventy thousand. 女:我不确定。我知道这是小于七万。 MAN: OK. What colour is it? 男:好吧。它是什么颜色的? WOMAN: It's grey, metallic grey.
女:这是灰色,金属灰色。
MAN: Right, and one last thing-what sort of condition would you say it's in? 男:对的,最后一个特色的条件你会说的吗?
WOMAN: I'd probably describe it as reasonable. Do you need to see it? It's parked 女人:我可能描述它是合理的。你需要看看吗?这是停 outside.
在外面。
MAN: Not at the moment, no. Perhaps you could call in one day next week ... 男人:不,没有。也许你可以叫下周一天?? SECTION 2 第二节
MAN: As I said earlier, there is I think at Rexford an excellent combination of physical and 男:就像我之前说的,我认为在范顿的身体和一个优秀的组合
geographical advantages - as well as having a rural setting and still being close to central 地理优势,以及在农村设置和仍在接近中央
London, something that will certainly be of interest to you is that Rexford is just 35 伦敦,你肯定会感兴趣的东西,范顿只是35
minutes from London Airport. At Rexford we have a strong research capability. We came 分钟从伦敦机场。范顿在我们有很强的研究能力。我们来到
7th out of 101 universities in last year's research assessment, carried out by a 7日的101所大学在去年的研究评估,由
government body and did particularly well in your particular subjects, engineering and 政府机构和在您的特定科目的表现尤其出色,工程和
science. Actually we got a top research grade of five for engineering, geography and 科学。实际上我们有顶级研究五年级工程、地理和
computer sciences. One further point - and I know from talking to you individually that a 计算机科学。另外一个点,我知道和你单独说话
number of you may be looking for some experience in industry after the course - is that
一些你可能会寻找一些行业经过——经验
all our science and engineering research departments have unusually close relationships 我们所有的科学和工程研究部门异常密切的关系 with industry in the area.
在该地区与行业。
Anyway that's enough sales talk from me ... I'll just take a sip of this coffee that's just 无论如何这是足够的销售从我说话??我只喝一小口的咖啡的
arrived, thank you, and then I'll say something about what actually happens when you 到了,谢谢你,然后我会说说当你实际上发生了什么 apply.
适用。
Right ... Now if you do decide to make an application, what you do is send it directly to me 对吧??现在,如果你决定让一个应用程序,你要做的是直接寄给我
in my department. I will then immediately send confirmation and the application process 在我的部门。我将立即发送确认和应用过程
begins. Er ... I'd like to say at this point that you shouldn't worry if this process doesn't 开始了。呃?我想说在这一点上,你不应该担心这个过程没有
work all that quickly - I mean occasionally there are postal problems, but most often the 工作迅速——我的意思是偶尔有邮政的问题,但大多数通常
hold-up is caused by references - the people you give as referees, shall we say, take their 延迟是由于引用——你给裁判,我们说,把他们的
time to reply. Anyway, it's absolutely normal for this process to take three to four months. What I do in this period is keep in touch with you and reassure you that things are moving
时间回复。不管怎么说,这绝对是正常的这一过程需要三到四个月。我做什么在这段时间和你保持联系和你确认它 along. 沿着。
One of the ways we've devised to help you decide about applying as well as later when 我们发明了一种方法来帮助你决定申请后
you've been accepted ... hopefully ... is to put you in contact with, if possible, a student 你已经接受了??希望??是把你接触,如果可能的话,一个学生吗
from your own country who is at present studying with us. What you can do is phone 从自己的国家与我们目前正在研究。你可以做的是手机
them up - we will, of course, liaise between you - and discuss your concerns with them. 当然,他们——我们会联系你们之间,与他们讨论你的问题。
That way you can get an objective opinion of what you can expect if you come to live and 这样你可以得到客观的意见如果你来住,你可以预期
study at Rexford - not only the academic atmosphere but important details like what the 范顿研究——不仅学术气氛但喜欢至关重要的细节
leisure facilities are like and whether the English weather and food are really as awful as 休闲设施如,英国的天气和食物是否真的一样可怕 everybody says! 每个人都说!
If you decide you can face it, the contact can also help you just before you leave, with
如果你决定你可以面对它,接触也能帮助你在你离开之前,
tips on what to pack and that sort of thing. At the moment I think we've got two 小贴士如何包之类的东西。目前我认为我们有两个
second-year students and one postgraduate from this country.
二年级学生和研究生从这个国家。
Now to move on to the other concerns you expressed earlier. At a UK university - as I'm 现在转移到另外一个你早些时候表示担忧。英国大学——我
sure you know - you will be in an environment where independent learning is the norm, 相信你知道,你会在一个环境中,自主学习是一种常态,
which takes most students a while to adjust to, and at a time when you will be separated 将大部分学生一段时间去适应,和时你会分开吗
from your normal surroundings and, in most eases, your family. This can be a difficult 从你的正常环境,在最放松,你的家人。这是一个困难
time. But remember that something like 25% of our student body are international 时间。但请记住,类似我们25%的国际学生
students like yourselves, and that there are several organisations in the university and city 学生喜欢自己,有几个组织在大学和城市
whose main purpose is to offer help and ensure that your time with us is enjoyable and 其主要目的是提供帮助,并确保你的时间和我们是愉快的吗 useful.
有用的。
One or two of you touched on the subject of accommodation earlier. So I'll just add a few 一个或两个你早些时候触及了住宿的主题。所以我只添加一些
points: it is the University's policy to give priority in the allocation of residence places to 点:大学的政策优先的分配居住的地方
three categories, and those are: visiting students, exchange students and new 三个类别,那些是:访问学生,交换学生和新
postgraduate students. However, demand exceeds supply, so there is still a need to put 研究生。然而,需求超过供给,这仍然是一个需要
your name down early for campus accommodation, particularly if your family is 你的名字下过早校园住宿,特别是如果你的家人
accompanying you. This means that the earlier you decide whether you want to study 伴随你。这意味着你决定你是否想要早些时候的研究
with us ... and so get the procedure moving, the better it will be for everybody. Yes? 与我们?所以让程序,这将是对每个人都越好。是吗?
WOMAN: What if you would prefer to live outside the university? 女:如果你宁愿住在大学吗?
MAN: If you're planning to live off-campus, you've got to sort things out even earlier. 男人:如果你打算住校外,你必须更早解决问题。
As with everything in short supply, the good accommodation gets sccnapped up months 与一切供不应求,良好的住宿得到sccnapped月
before the beginning of term - in other words if you're starting in October you need to he 在开学之前——换句话说,如果你10月开始你需要他
thinking about it in June or at the very latest July. So you do need to think very carefully
考虑它在6月或7月最新。所以你需要仔细思考
about what you need, how much you can afford to pay, well in advance. What you can't 你需要什么,你可以支付多少,提前。你不能什么
do is leave it until a few days before the start of term. The agencies in town are pretty 做的就是离开,直到前几天任期的开始。城里机构相当
good - it's just a matter of contacting them in good time. Of course, we have a full-time 好——它只是一种及时联系他们。当然,我们有一个全职工作
accommodation officer available to help all students. She'll get in touch with you when you're accepted - she's got plenty of contacts in the town and will deal with the agencies
住宿官可以帮助所有的学生。她会和你取得联系,当你接受了——她的镇上有足够的联系,并将处理机构 on your behalf.
代表你。
One or two of you asked me earlier about your level of spoken English. Obviously most 一个或两个你之前问我关于你的英语口语水平。显然最
of you have already achieved a lot - I wish I could speak your language half as well. 你已经取得了很多,我希望我能说你的语言一半。
Having said that though, I'm afraid the lecturers will make little or no allowance for the 已经说过,恐怕讲师将很少或没有津贴
presence of non-native speakers in the audience. So anything you can do to improve your 非英语母语人士在观众的存在。所以你可以做什么来提高你的
spoken English - even beyond the pretty high levels most of you have already reached - 英语口语,甚至超出了大部分你已经达到了相当高的水平
will help make your stay with us that bit more fun for you. Some extra practice before 有助于让你和我们住在一起,更有趣。之前一些额外的练习
you arrive is worth more than ... for example private lessons afterwards, when you won't 你到是价值超过?例如私人课程之后,当你不会
really have time. Oh ... and one last thing before I invite further questions: it's very 真的有时间。哦??和最后一件事之前我邀请进一步问题:它非常 important that you... 重要的是你? SECTION 3
第三节
ANNIE: Oh Ben - I just remembered I never filled in that form for Nick - did you 安妮:哦,本,我只是记得我从来没有填写,尼克-你 do it? 这样做吗?
BEN: The course feedback form? 本:这门课的反馈形式?
ANNIE: Yes. If you want, we can do it together, I've got mine here. 安妮:是的。如果你愿意,我们可以在一起,我有我在这里。 BEN: Is that OK? 本:这样可以吗? ANNIE: Yeah.
many jobs he will have is to send out newsletters to you regularly. If you have any 很多工作他会定期为您发送时事通讯。如果你有任何
information that may be useful, please let David know so that it can be included in these 可能是有用的信息,请让大卫知道,这样就可以将包含在这些 newsletters.
时事通讯。
Also I'd like to introduce you to Jason Dokie who is the Head Coach. For all the new 我也想把你介绍给杰森Dokie谁是主教练。为所有的新
members here tonight, this is the third year thet Jason has been with us as Head Coach, 成员今晚,这是第三年提斯杰森已经与我们作为主教练,
and we are very lucky to have such an experienced coach and former player at our club. 我们非常幸运有这样一位经验丰富的教练和前球员在我们的俱乐部。
He will continue to supervise the teams, at training sessions and on match days. 他将继续监督团队,在训练和比赛的日子。
Now before we finish and have some refreshments, does anyone have any questions 在我们完成之前,有一些茶点,有没有人有任何问题 they'd like to ask the new committee?
他们想问新委员会? SECTION 3 第三节
TUTOR: Right, Jason and Karin, now I asked you to look at the ease study for 导师:对,杰森和卡琳,现在我问你看方便学习
Box Telecom as part of your exam assessment. It's interesting because 电信作为考试评估的一部分。有趣的是,因为
they are in the middle of problems at the moment and I want you to 他们中间的问题,我想要你
track how they deal with them. Let's start with you, Karin. Having read 跟踪他们如何处理它们。让我们从你开始,卡琳。读
through the ease study, can you just summarise what the problems 通过放松学习,你能总结的问题
were that Box Telecom had to take on board? 那个盒子是电信必须采纳?
KARIN: Um, yeah ... Well of course what first came to their attention was that, 卡琳:嗯,是的?当然是第一次来到他们的注意力,
despite a new advertising campaign, they were suffering from falling 尽管新广告,他们遭受下降
sales - and this is something that had many causes. On top of that 销售,这是有许多原因。最重要的是
immediate problem, what had also happened over the last two years 直接的问题,还发生了什么事在过去的两年里
was that, although they had invested in an expansion plan, they had to 是,虽然他们所投资的扩张计划,他们必须吗
face up to increased competition. And, before they had a chance to 面对竞争加剧。之前,他们有机会
get to grips with the effects of that, they were stalled by a strike and it 掌握的影响,他们被罢工,停滞不前
was just when they were thinking about making a colossal investment 只是当他们想做一个巨大的投资
in new machinery for their plants. So they were really in trouble.
在新机器的工厂。所以他们真的遇到了麻烦。
TUTOR: Yes, I think that's fair. And Jason, you contacted the company, didn't 老师:是的,我认为这是公平的。杰森,你联系了该公司,没有
you? What did the company define as the reasons for these problems? 你吗?什么公司定义的原因这些问题呢?
JASON: Well, I think they've hit on the right things - it would be easy to say they 杰森:嗯,我认为他们已经在正确的事情——很容易说他们
had invested too heavily, or at the wrong time, but in fact the signs 投资过大,或在错误的时间,但实际上的迹象
were good and what they were set back by was high interest rates. At 是好的,他们设置了很高的利率。在
the same time, their longer-term problems, which were affecting their
同时,他们的长期问题,这是影响他们
market share, were eventually credited to poor training - and having 市场份额,最终被归功于训练——差和拥有
looked at the details in their last report I think that's right. 看着他们最后的细节报告我认为这是对的。
TUTOR: SO, onto the larger issues then. Karin, what do you think the company 老师:那么,到更大的问题。卡琳,你认为公司
will do? KARIN: Hmm ... Well, obviously they have the choice of accepting the very 会做什么?卡琳:嗯??显然,他们已经接受了非常的选择
favourable terms that another company - KMG Plc - have given them to 优惠的条款,另一家公司——哈Plc——给他们
buy them out. That would mean creating a new company with a new 买他们。这意味着创建一个新的公司,新的
image. Or they could decide on a bolder move and offer some new 的形象。也可以更大胆的行动,并提供一些新的决定
shares if they wanted. But I think they're much more cautious than that 如果他们想要的股票。但是我觉得他们更加谨慎
and expect they will start trying to find individuals who'd be prepared to 并期望他们会试图找到人就准备
back them with some of the capital they need. 他们需要支持他们的资本。
TUTOR: Well, you mustn't always assume that dramatic problems require 老师:嗯,你不能总是以为戏剧性的问题需要
dramatic solutions. Sometimes there's a simple fix such as changing the 戏剧性的解决方案。有时一个简单的修复等改变
guy at the top. If they truly are cautious, then I suspect they will seek to 人在顶部。如果他们真的是谨慎,那么我怀疑他们将寻求
shut down some of their shops. But a more ambitious approach, and 他们的一些商店关闭。但更雄心勃勃的的方法,
one which I think would have more chance of success, would be to 一个我认为会有更多的成功的机会,将是
alter how they're running things - the management layers and the
改变他们的事情——管理层级和运行
processes. So in your analysis try to think of all the options. Jason? 流程。所以在你的分析试图把所有的选项。杰森?
JASON: Yes. it's interesting because I've found it a really useful company to 杰森:是的。这很有趣,因为我发现它很有用的公司
study. Its problems cross all types of industries and it's lucky it's so big - 研究。问题跨越所有类型的工业和如此之大——这是幸运
a smaller or even medium-sized company would have gone under by 一个更小的甚至中等规模的公司就会破产 now. 现在。
TUTOR: Ah well in fact, what I want you two to do is to go away when we've 事实上老师:啊,我想让你们两个做的是当我们消失
finished our discussion today and write a report. We've looked in 结束我们今天的讨论和写报告。我们看到在
general at the telecommunications market in the UK over the last few 一般在英国电信市场在过去几
sessions and I want you to take Box Telecom as an example and 会议和我要你把盒子电信为例,
suggest some ways in which they might overcome their problems. And 提出一些方法会解决他们的问题。和
outline the reasons why you think as you do - but try and keep it
大纲的原因你觉得像你,但试着保持它
intrinsic to the company rather than dragging in other examples. Is that 固有的公司而不是拖在其他例子。是, OK, Karin? 好的,卡琳?
KARIN: Yes, I think I can do that. Personally I've got great hopes for it. I think it 卡琳:是的,我想我能做到这一点。我个人有很大的希望。我认为这 will recover. That advertising campaign they did was very strong and 将恢复。广告宣传活动是很强的
they're very innovative with their products - they set new trends. The 他们非常创新产品——新趋势。的
company's got to recover, don't you think, Jason? 公司有恢复,你不觉得,杰森?
JASON: Hmmm - I'm not sure. I think it can but it's not a foregone conclusion 杰森:嗯,我不确定。我认为它可以但不是定局
unless they manage to attract the right level of investment. The 除非他们设法吸引正确的投资水平。的
company definitely needs a boost and to attract more highly skilled 公司肯定需要刺激和吸引更多的高技能
workers if their recovery is to be long-lasting. When I was talking to the 工人如果他们持久的复苏。当我说到
marketing manager he said to me that he thinks the company had got a 营销经理他对我说,他认为该公司已经有一个
great management team - but he would say that, wouldn't he? - but 伟大的管理团队,但他会说,不是吗?——但
they are suffering from having to work with outdated production
他们正遭受与过时的生产工作
machinery and that could cost a lot to put right. 机械和纠正可能花费很多。
TUTOR: Well, personally I think the stock market is to blame. I think they were
老师:嗯,我个人认为股市是罪魁祸首。我认为他们是
expecting too much of the company and then inevitably it looked bad when it didn't perform. The market should have had more realistic
公司期望过高,然后不可避免地看起来坏当它没有执行。市场应该有更为现实 expectations. 的期望。
And I disagree with you about the advertising campaign Karin. That's 我不同意你关于广告卡琳。这是
where they could do with some innovation - to get sales kick-started. 在那里他们可以做一些创新——销售开启。
Anyway, let's see what you come up with ... [fade]
不管怎样,让我们看看你想出??(消失) SECTION 4 第四节
OK, are you all settled? Well, first of all, welcome to Cardiff University. I'm here to explain 好吧,你们都解决了吗?首先,欢迎来到卡迪夫大学。我在这里解释一下 what we can offer you.
我们能给你的。
Now, as a new student at the university, you will probably need some sort of guidance to 现在,作为一个大学新生,你可能需要一些指导
help you to use the library effectively to study and research. some of you have asked 帮助你有效地利用图书馆学习和研究。你们有些人问道
about a guided tour but we find this rather muddles people. So, in this first week, we run a 关于一个导游但我们找到这个相当混乱的人。所以,在这一周中,我们运行
series of talks which focus on different aspects of the library and its resources. You'll also 系列的会谈关注图书馆及其资源的不同方面。你也会
find that to get the most out of the library you really do need to be computer literate and 发现最大的图书馆你确实需要懂电脑
so all this term we run small classes which will bring you up to speed on how to access 所以这学期我们运行小类,将带给你如何访问速度 the computer-loaded information.
computer-loaded信息。
OK, now let me give you an outline of what's available to you You'll find that the 好,现在让我给你一个概述的提供给你你会发现
computer's are increasingly used as a research tool. Many students do most of their 电脑越来越多地作为研究工具来使用。许多学生做他们的大部分
research on the Internet and the library computers are permanently online. Having found 研究互联网和图书馆计算机永久在线。有发现
what you need, you'll find you can readily save texts on your personal computer space to 你需要什么,你会发现你可以很容易地保存文本在您的个人电脑的空间
print off when you need. You might think that it is the fastest way to get information but 当你需要打印。你可能会认为这是最快的方式来获得信息
the links can be slow. Clearly you can find lots on there but much of it is useless 链接可以是缓慢的。显然你可以找到很多,但它是无用的
information as it is from highly debatable sources - so be critical. You'll also find that the 信息是高度有争议的来源,所以是至关重要的。你也会发现的
library has loaded several CD-ROM's onto the computers from specialist reference 库加载几个光盘在电脑专家参考 sources such as the MLA. 如MLA来源。
It means we can expand what we offer you at very little extra cost and saves us having to 这意味着我们可以扩大我们给你很少的额外成本,不得不拯救我们
invest in more and more books. The CD-ROM's contain exactly the same information as 投资越来越多的书籍。cd - rom的包含完全相同的信息 the reference books as the two are updated together.
参考书作为两个更新。
Now most of you will need to refer to journal articles in your work and you'll find you can 现在大多数你需要引用期刊文章,你会发现你可以在你的工作 also access these online and we encourage you to do so. 还访问这些在线,我们鼓励你这么做。
Clearly some of you will find the printed version more accessible as it sits on the shelves 清楚一些你会发现印刷的版本更容易,因为它坐落在货架上
but I'm afraid the intention is to phase these out eventually. However, you will still be able 但我害怕这些最终目的是阶段。然而,你仍然可以
to print off a version of the text rather than photocopying the journal pages. So you must 打印版本的文本而不是复印杂志页面。所以你必须
get used to working online. Naturally we do still have the full range of classic reference 习惯在网上工作。自然我们仍然有全系列的经典参考
books, additional to the CD-ROM's, for you to use and there are several copies of each 书,额外的cd - rom,供您使用,各有几份
one. This is because some of you may prefer to borrow a book rather than sit in the library. There is a restricted loan time on these so that they are not missing from the 一个。这是因为你们中的一些人可能更喜欢在图书馆借一本书而不是坐着。有一个限制贷款时间这些,他们不是失踪
shelves for too long. Although there is a Section Manager for each part of the library,
货架上太久。虽然有一个部门经理为每个库的一部分,
they are very busy and so, if you do get stuck looking for things, you should ask the 他们非常忙,所以,如果你被困住了寻找的东西,你应该问
relevant Cataloguing Assistant. As your Training supervisor, I just oversee your induction 相关分类的助理。作为你的培训主管,我只是监督你的感应 and will not be around after this initial week. 后,不会在这最初的一周。
Some of you may be interested to know that the library is offering specialised training 你们中有些人可能有兴趣知道,图书馆提供专业培训
sessions on writing a dissertation. Obviously this is not relevant to those of you who are 会议在写论文。显然这是不相关的人
undergraduates; it is just for postgraduates. Your department will discuss the planning 大学生;它只是研究生。你的部门将讨论计划
stage of the dissertation - i.e. what you're going to do - with you and we will focus on the 阶段的论文——即你要做什么,和你,我们会关注的
structure of it. However, the training will also include some time on the computers. 它的结构。然而,该培训还将包括一些时间在电脑上。
I realise most of you know how to organise files but we can show you the different ways 我知道大多数人都知道如何组织文件,但我们可以给你不同的方式
to run data programmes. Your tutors will tell you at the outset how to set out the 运行数据项目。你的老师会告诉你在一开始如何设置的
chapters they require but you will need to ask them how they would like you to organise 章需要但你需要问他们是否希望你组织
the bibliography because it varies depending on your subject area. When you've got 参考书目,因为它在你的主题领域而异。当你有
something together the trainer here will look through the draft version for you to see if 一些这里的教练会通过草案一起给你看看
it's OK. And, one final point, for those of you who have registered from abroad, we can 没关系。最后一点,对于那些从国外注册,我们可以
offer individual sessions on dissertations if you feel you need them. If you require 提供个人会议论文如果你觉得你需要他们。如果您需要
language lessons then they are available from the International Centre next to the Law 语言课程之后,他们可以从旁边的国际中心 Department. 部门。
正在阅读:
剑桥雅思5听力原文加翻译11-02
吉林省长春市七年级下学期生物5月联考试卷04-30
十三五重点项目-商业广场项目资金申请报告10-27
思想道德修养与法律基础课堂心得感受07-18
第十章 系统抽样(抽样调查理论与方法-北京商学院,李平)08-15
基因工程 期末复习题及答案12-22
循环伏安法测定电极反应参数-教案01-26
校车安全管理实施方案05-05
浅析中小企业内部控制06-25
- 多层物业服务方案
- (审判实务)习惯法与少数民族地区民间纠纷解决问题(孙 潋)
- 人教版新课标六年级下册语文全册教案
- 词语打卡
- photoshop实习报告
- 钢结构设计原理综合测试2
- 2014年期末练习题
- 高中数学中的逆向思维解题方法探讨
- 名师原创 全国通用2014-2015学年高二寒假作业 政治(一)Word版
- 北航《建筑结构检测鉴定与加固》在线作业三
- XX县卫生监督所工程建设项目可行性研究报告
- 小学四年级观察作文经典评语
- 浅谈110KV变电站电气一次设计-程泉焱(1)
- 安全员考试题库
- 国家电网公司变电运维管理规定(试行)
- 义务教育课程标准稿征求意见提纲
- 教学秘书面试技巧
- 钢结构工程施工组织设计
- 水利工程概论论文
- 09届九年级数学第四次模拟试卷
- 剑桥
- 雅思
- 听力
- 原文
- 翻译
- 关于智能电网建设的探索与思考
- 《毛概》自测题(第十三章)
- 相转移催化反应概述
- 财务管理与分析 - 习题集(含答案)
- 单片机原理与应用及C51程序设计 杨加国主编 完整版答案 - 图文
- HSK四级词汇笔画顺序
- 2-修理规则
- 2018高考语文各地模拟卷文学类文本散文阅读50篇(附答案解释)
- 普外科考博试题四川大学
- 水泥环保砖项目可行性研究报告(发改立项备案+2013年最新案例范文)详细编制方案
- 合肥建工集团公司
- 第一章蛋白质的结构和功能选择题
- 紧急工伤事故应急预案
- 定轴轮系的练习
- 《财经法规》重要知识点汇总
- bluecoat 操作说明 - 图文
- 2015浙江政法干警考试法制史重要考点之契约制度
- “财务软件应用”模拟赛题(二)
- 18年高考英语一轮复习考点通关练专题三阅读理解考点十四人物故事类
- CS玩法介绍